Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ripped from the Catholic Headlines...

Statue of St. Therese of Lisieux in the Assumption Grotto cemetery


I'm taking time out for a retreat and will not be online until later Sunday or Monday.  I will include  you, my readers, in my prayers and I ask you to include me in yours.  I am turning off comments because I want an electronic free retreat and do not want to be tempted to moderate them.  It will only tempt me to look at email and other happenings.  I'm even abstaining from checking in on the Tigers and the big U of M - Michigan State game.  I'll have to find out after the fact. 


On this the 13th of October, I leave you with a few things ripped from the Catholic headlines that I have read in the past few days that are worthy reads.


First, it is October 13th, and on this day in 1917, the Blessed Virgin Mary made her final appearance to the children of Fatima and it is when the miracle of the sun took place


Second, October is a big month for Carmelites with feast days for St. Therese of Lisieux having passed on the 1st, and Teresa of Avila coming up on the 15th.  I will point back to two audiences of Pope Benedict recently, when he talked about the mystics and doctors of the Church. 


Now, for some interesting stories circulating that you can read in the coming days...


Here are Ten Practical Prayer Tips from the Carmelite Sisters.

+++

Pope Benedict XVI is deeply saddened by the violence in Cairo against Christians.

+++

Archbishop Timothy Dolan reflects on prayer and penance.  After reading this brief blogpost by His Excellency, I find myself hopeful that US bishops will follow their brothers in England and Wales who brought back "meatless Fridays" this year.   It may be fall, but I think Archbishop Dolan is planting seeds.  Brick-by-brick

+++

Following on the heels of of changes made in the Diocese of Phoenix on distribution of Communion under both kinds, Bishop Morlino of Madison, Wisconsin has taken a similar path.  It was unknown by most of us that an indult expired several years ago and a requested extension was not permitted.  These bishops are working to respect the wishes of the Holy See in their dioceses.  I suspect we will see a string of these in the coming months.

+++

The Anchoress blogs about the Supreme Court and an interesting video that was released with justices holding discussions.  She also touches on the subjects that should be of interest to Catholics and people of other faiths here in the US.  Is the US trending towards a culture of "freedom from religion"?   Jimmy Akin also has something to say in his post, "Supreme Court to Decide on Women Priests?"


+++

Up in Marquette, Michigan, Fr. John Boyle blogs about the last address given by Bishop Alexander Sample to priests of the diocese at their convocation.  Bishop Sample shares his program for the "New Evanglization".  Folks, this is a must-read.  Take your time reading.  It is a breath of fresh air.   If you want to know something about Bishop Sample, he takes very seriously his role as teacher in his diocese as this memorable story from 2009 reveals.

+++

Archbishop Vigneron ordained 10 new deacons for the Archdiocese of Detroit on October 5th.

+++

On October 4, the Catholic League is called out the NFL for having the singer, Madonna, for half-time entertainment at the superbowl.  She has been blatantly offensive to Christians, but most especially Catholics.  The Catholic League is now calling on the NFL to drop her.  The NFL says it's half-time show for the superbowl will be appropriate.  For my part, the vast majority of Americans identify themselves as Christians.  Consider for a moment if her lyrics and antics had been supportive of the Ku Klux Klan and racist.  Would they be seeking her out?  Something is twisted here.




For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!
Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.