Thursday, February 8, 2007

Fr. Z on St. Josephine Bakhita



Today is the memorial of St. Josephine Bakhita. I only became aware of this saint a couple of weeks ago and was amazed with her, even with what little I had to go on. I'm glad to see Fr. Zuhlsdorf has a full post on her, well worth reading.

This statement she made is something we all need to meditate on: Accepting God's will for us. It's been said that God can turn any and all bad things into something good and for his glory. Here we see her acknowledging his work. The slave trade was indeed a bad and wicked thing. But the graces of God worked within this soul who in life learned to give him glory, and in afterlife gives him glory.

"If I were to meet the slave-traders who kidnapped me and even those who tortured me, I would kneel and kiss their hands, for if that did not happen, I would not be a Christian and Religious today…"

Catholic-Forums.com has a good write-up on her, as well.