Monday, May 29, 2006

Positive review for Assumption Grotto from a Visitor

We know we get visitors all the time, and most of them walk away wondering what just happened - including me when I walked through the doors for the first time on Pentecost 2005. It was May 15, and I still recall the way I felt, and how greatful I am to have learned of this liturgical oasis - now, my own parish - in my backyard.

Here is part of what Scott writes in his blog, "Trinitas In Unitate"

I’ve Seen the Future and It Looks Like the Past!
Liturgia Authentica

While visiting relatives in Michigan this past week, I had the opportunity to take my family to Mass for the feast of the Ascension at the Assumption Grotto. Folks, the “Reform of the Reform” is alive and well at this wonderful parish in a rundown section of Detroit, Michigan.

Where do I even begin?

“Novus Ordo” Mass celebrated in Latin.
The Readings and the Prayers of the Faithful were in English…everything else was in Latin. They had a side-by-side Latin-English guide to follow the Mass parts in Latin (with their own English translations of what was being said…much better than the ICEL junk). For the Propers (parts of the Mass that change from week to week) they printed up a neat little piece of paper specifically for that week.

Ad Orientem
The Mass was celebrated facing the high altar, though not for the prayers at the beginning of Mass. Those were done from the priest’s chair off to the side.

Gregorian Chant
Beautiful, beautiful chant music filled the church during the entire Mass. Most of it was easy enough to follow along with (made me realize how much I got out of the “An Idiot’s Guide to Square Notes” article I read in Crisis Magazine last month). My only complaint was that the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei were pretty much choir only pieces. Not sure how I feel about that (though compared to “On Eagle’s Wings”, I’ll take it any day. I just wonder if there is a better way…

17 Altar Boys
Yep, 17 of ‘em! You may ask what they were all used for…to be honest, they didn’t all have things to do, but it certainly added a level of beauty and solemness to the occasion. They all wore what looked like white cassocks or hoodless albs with yellow shoulder capes (not sure what they’re called).

Great Homily
Good strong homily about the meaning of the Ascension and the necessity of Christ’s leaving us so that the Holy Spirit could be sent.

Greeting of Peace
Or lack thereof. The priest used the perfectly legitimate option
[continue reading in Scott's blog]

He's got a nice blog - bookmark it and pay it a visit now and then.

Scott, we'd like to invite you to come back for one of our Orchestra Masses.

Pentecost - 9:30am

Corpus Christi - Noon (outdoor procession to several altars, weather permitting). Plan on staying for a few hours past Mass if you can.

This is could be the only opportunity until Christmas-time.